Friday, April 26, 2013

Cute way to reuse soap scraps!

Awesome idea for reusing soap scraps!


At my house, we don't like to let anything go to waste, so we came up with a way to make new soap out of old soap. You know those annoying little slivers of soap that keep slipping out of your hand in the shower? Instead of struggling to use them until depleted, or throwing them out, store them in the fridge. Once you have enough leftovers, you can either melt it all down together and make one huge mix, or melt the colors down individually to make something a bit nicer (like the butterflies up top). I even add more fragrance and dye if needed. I am not great at making soaps, but melting used soap and pouring it into a mold is easy peasy!


What was once several small pieces of soap, is now one cute molded soap. To melt my soap scraps, I use a stainless steel double boiler. This is important, as you do not want to overheat the soap. If you do not have one, try using a small saucepan and a pyrex bowl. Boil water in the saucepan, place the bowl on top, add soap scraps, and stir the soap bits until melted. I got this idea from melting chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment